- Understand the most common effects of drug misuse including the use of opiates, stimulants and anti-depressants
- Understand the most common effects of prescribed medication such as methadone, suboxone or benzodiazepines
- Understand the different treatment modalities available to those using substances
- Discuss the issue of relapse management and behaviour change
- Understand the legal and financial context of kinship care
- Understand the support and help available to kinship carers
This module can also be adapted to suit the needs of those providing a fostering service, who are looking after children for whom social services have identified a need to be removed from parental care either, temporarily or permanently due to substance misuse, both drugs and/or alcohol.